Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bad, bad, survivor!

This weekend is the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Philadelphia. It's the Mother's Day 5k that I have participated in the past 2 years. It is a beautiful and emotional event and I support Susan G. Komen 100%. I've raised several thousand dollars during those two years and am very happy with the experience.

I signed up this year and raised a few pennies but sometime between last December when I registered and the last couple of weeks I decided not to walk.

You see, it's Mother's Day. And I am a Mother. A mother who just happened to have had breast cancer. Cancer has taken many things from me since I was diagnosed and I just don't want to give it another Mother's Day.

Some girlfriends and I talked about doing Relay for Life instead. We spoke to a representative from the American Cancer Society this morning and will be forming a team later this fall. Walks are typically held in spring and summer, so we're a little late getting started for this year but we will be all over it for next year.

So, if you're local (or even not so local!) and want to join us be sure to save the date - May 21, 2011. A few of us plan on staying the entire 24 hour period but don't expect the whole team to commit to the same. It will be fun, fun, fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment