Friday, October 26, 2012

forty five

As much as I enjoy my daughter being seven, I am loving me being forty five.  I've heard people say that as you get older you don't give a crap about things anymore.  Age gives you the ability to say and do what you want, freely.   I don't agree.

I will say that being 45 (much more than 44, 43, or even 40) has given me a buffer to not necessarily care how others feel about me.  I am still sensitive to others and even more careful about how I behave, but my skin has grown thick.   Snarky remarks or rude and sarcastic comments used to crush me.   Now I have the ability to throw up my hands and say 'Oh well!'.   That is something I could never do before my 45th birthday.  It feels good.

I have watched many relationships slide away during the past five years.   Some went quietly and naturally and others left with a loud boom.  There are times past that I will cherish forever but everything happens for a reason and at the moment I am exactly where I am supposed to be and with who I am supposed to be with.

However, I do wish my body hadn't hit the wall and started breaking down.   I feel like I'm aging on a fast track.


2 comments:

  1. Nobody is ever fully immune from hurtful comments but getting older certainly helps a lot! My biggest enemy is myself though. I need to learn to be nicer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say that my body has broken down, it is still healthy, but it sure has started sliding down! All things considered though, I'll take 45 over 25 any day :-).

    ReplyDelete