Friday, September 4, 2009

Here I am!

Howdy Ho! It's only been a week but it's been a super busy one.

Let's see....a week ago yesterday I went to my primary physician about my overall crappy well being. She said it could have been the Lexapro but also my clogged up sinuses, lack of sleep, and dealing with my daily stresses without medication. She gave me a script for a sleeping pill and instructed me to get 9 hours a night, no excuses. She also gave me lab paperwork to get my blood work done, just in case. My appt was early in the morning so I managed to get my fasting levels done. Yippee.

Friday my body was just tired. I could barely keep my eyes open. My body hurt and felt like it needed 14 hours of sleep so I dropped Cha off at school and came back to sleep the rest of the day. Her school closes for a week every year before Labor Day, so I had to be ready to be alone with my little high energy diva.

Monday morning Dr. M called to give me the lab results and to give me a long lecture on how to take care of myself. It seems my sugar levels were high. Like scary high. That explains why I've been feeling so crappy. I'm up and down and my body is mad.

She lectured me on diet and exercise and being real. No excuses this time. I had to get in shape or it would kill me. I promised that I would because I didn't want to go on more daily medications. Shortly after we hung up I grabbed the dog and took a long and brisk walk. As I was walking out the door Matt says: 'But what about dinner?' I told him there was plenty of food in the fridge, including lasagna from the night before, and that he was on his own. Seriously, don't give me a reason to make excuses. I could have easily stopped, made dinner for my family, sat down and ate way too much, felt too full for a walk, and spent the rest of the night feeling awful. I needed to get out and walk, and think.

I spoke to a friend that night about all that was happening. I was so afraid that I wouldn't be able to do it. I know my weaknesses and I know that the hardest thing in the world is to get out in the world when you're feeling down, much less get out and exercise. She gave me some good advice. Medication is nothing to be afraid of. It will stabilize me and give me the energy I need to start doing what I need to do.

So, I started taking Metformin this week. A diabetes drug. Crap.

It will work out. I know it will help and hopefully a few months from now I'll be in much better shape and won't even need the pills. I've got my fingers crossed.

To lay it out there:

July Triglyceride: 250
August Triglyceride: 963

Normal: <150

Ouch!

This week has been exhausting trying to keep up with a soon to be 4 year old. Don't believe what they say about Terrible Twos. Three and 4 are much worse. We've had fun but I think we both would have enjoyed it more if she hadn't given up naps.

On Tuesday she and I trotted over to my annual girlie check up. She's become a real pro at exam rooms. My gyn asked me who was following up on my 'breasts'. Well, you see with my type of cancer most doctors say that no follow up is needed. No mammos, no MRIs, no nothing. She made me feel uneasy about it so I decided to call the Paoli Breast Center and ask their opinion. They suggested that I call my breast surgeon, Dr. K as he would certainly want to follow up with me.

Well, I called Dr. K's office and told them the story. I asked if I needed to be seen. Nope, he didn't think it was necessary. Actually he said: I am happy to be one less doctor you need to see.

Just to be safe I called Paoli again and asked to see an oncologist. I've got an appt for next week. The doctor will read my files and let me know if I need any further checks. I'm sure the answer will be no, but it just feels funny to say no one will be watching.

So, that's my week.


A P.S. to Kayleigh.....I gave Valerian tea the old college try, but my God that stuff smells! Even bagged up and stuffed in a box, the tea still managed to make my cupboards stink.

3 comments:

  1. LOL -- I warned you, it's nasty :D But did it work, or couldn't you get beyond the lovely fragrance?

    If you REALLY can't stand the smell or taste as I mentioned there are capsules that you can take...they work too. I just go for the more natural tea (hold my nose and chug, lol!)

    I hear ya on the 3&4 yo...my son will be three next month. 'Nuff said. Thankfully his big sister (8yo) is a big help and my DH is home several days a week.

    Good for you getting in that walk! It really IS hard to get started....been so long since I did any exersize myself.

    I think you most definitely SHOULD be monitored somehow, probably an oncologist is a good place to start.

    Hang in there, I think if we take baby steps and keep going we'll both be feeling better little by little. Hope the new diabetes med helps ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( You deserve a break, Joni *hug*

    ReplyDelete