Monday, May 26, 2008

My birthday weekend

I celebrated my birthday this weekend with my parents down in DC. We had a wonderful time and the weather was perfect. Altho, I'm sure it could have been stormy and cold and we'd still have fun.

Matt, Cha and I got down to the hotel around 8:00 pm Friday night. Philly and DC traffic were both a mess so it was a long drive. Cha was looking forward to seeing her grandparents and ran to Grandma's arms when she saw her in the parking lot. It was very sweet.

Saturday we took a open air tour bus of DC. I've seen the sights many times but it was such a beautiful day and being there with family made it very special. The tour ended at 7:00 pm so we decided to eat dinner at Union Station before we drove home. Our first stop was Pizzeria Uno which had a 40 minute wait. That was a no-go for a hungry crew of tourists so we found a restaurant called America on the main level. It was actually pretty good food and there was immediate seating. The server was wonderful and made us feel very relaxed. I'm baffled why the people waited at Unos. I've eaten there several times and it's certainly not worth a 40 minute wait.

Sunday morning we took off for Annapolis, Maryland. My dad found a boat that took tours of the lighthouses in the Chesapeake Bay. Being my dad is a lighthouse geek, this was the perfect day for him. We had fun finding our way to Annapolis and waiting on the dock for the boat to arrive. The tour was less than 50% full so there was plenty of room for us to walk about and relax. The tour guide was very personable and knowledgeable about the history of Chesapeake Bay so it was a good experience for all of us.

Monday morning we packed, had breakfast and came home. If it weren't so late I'd probably say something witty about the 'special' host dropping my dad's silverware on the ground only to pick it up and hand it back to him. Little does that poor guy know that he's now part of the Jenkins lore. We'll be talking about him for years to come.

When we got home Matt mowed the lawn, I swept the patio and made sure my roses were still alive and did a week's worth of laundry. Cha and I walked to the 7-11 with the neighbor girls to get a Slurpee and had a nice restful evening.

Forty one has been a pretty good year so far.

Hanging with Grandpa and Grandma


Waiting to board the Bay Lighthouse Tour in Annapolis, MD


Feeding the ducks and playing with Grandma in Gaithersburg


Waking up from a long nap on the boat.



Thanks for everything Mom and Dad!

Oh, and Happy Birthday to Spencer and Tamara and the rest of the May Jenkins babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment