Sunday, May 11, 2008

Race Day!

Matt, Cha and I got to the hotel Saturday afternoon and I started feeling bad. We went swimming and out to dinner and I kept feeling worse. I was up all night with a migraine and seriously didn't think I would make the walk this morning. I spent most of the night laying against the toilet and tub praying for the pain to end.

Somehow I managed to get up and out the door. The walk from the hotel to the art museum was nice and cool and it was nearly empty at 6:45 am. We picked up our team sign (which was a little bland, I was hoping for some color) and then went to the survivors tent for breakfast. I was still feeling icky and the tent was packed and loud so I didn't eat.

The tent was at the bottom of the art museum steps and I knew there was a survivors parade down the steps (a la Rocky) so we stood there until the parade. We were right next to the news people and I kept moving so I wouldn't get in the camera. I was not looking or feeling my best and didn't want to be on TV.

They made the announcement for the survivors to go to the top of the steps so I left Matt and Cha behind. She was very tired and clingy so I felt terrible leaving. The whole thing was a little overwhelming for her.

I was doing okay standing there until Kelly called to say our team were there. I started crying and then everyone around me started crying. There were lots of hugs with strangers. It was pretty incredible. The band played a little bit of the Rocky theme and then we started down the stairs. Everyone was bawling and it was so emotional. Some of the women were bald from chemo and weak from their illness and I felt so guilty for complaining about a migraine.

When we got to the bottom I found Matt and then we walked over and found the rest of the team. I was so happy to see them that I had to cry some more. I'm telling you, it was an emotional day!

The runners were the first to take off and my friends Kelly, Val and Nadia all ran (3.1 miles in 39 mins, I was so proud!). I knew I couldn't keep up with them so I decided on the jog/walk option instead. It was so crowded that we were forced to keep a slow and steady pace. I'm hoping that we would have jogged faster if we had the chance, but who cares either way! I made it in 1 hour 5 minutes (which was actually less because we didn't start right on time).

It was an amazing experience.

Here are some pictures:

At the breakfast


The Survivors Parade


Walking Down




Finally reaching Matt and Cha, I was bawling!


Matt was standing right next to Gov Rendell


When I met up with my girlfriends. We all bawled!


Finishing my walk


The Team


The entire crew


BFF Kelly and I


Kel's son Johnny and Char


BFF Leila, who we didn't find until after the race


Before the race

And finally, because it's soooo cute, he's our mini-Rocky


No comments:

Post a Comment