Thursday, May 1, 2008

This is what it's about

I know that some women who are battling breast cancer prefer to keep it to themselves. It's a hell of a struggle and with all the emotions involved sometimes it's more comforting to crawl inside yourself.

I decided to be more open about my battle. When I was first diagnosed I did a blog search on breast cancer and read several stories of women who were fighting. I learned more from their posts than I did from the doctors. I checked their blogs daily (sometimes several times a day) and sent thank you notes for allowing me to peek into their world and see what I'm in for. Minerva's blog was always my first stop. She has experienced it all and shared everything. It takes great courage to be that vulnerable. (Lace up Your Gloves is another blog that still manages to inspire me. Check out her latest post if you get a chance.)

Since the beginning of my fight four friends have approached me about breast cancer scares. They either found a lump or felt something funny and immediately jumped to worst case scenario. This morning I was contacted by a woman I barely know. She said she heard about my story and wanted to talk to me. She found something and the doctors said they couldn't get her in for another two weeks. If there's anyone who can understand what she's feeling, it's me. Ugh, the wait is the worst and despite what they say there is no way you can just put it out of your mind. Talk about a gigantic pink elephant in the room!

So this is what it's about now. Being open to others about my experience and sharing in their fears. I'm a walking reminder to schedule your mammogram.

But that's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment