Saturday, September 17, 2011

a little brag

Altho, I didn't work nearly as hard as I could have which means it could have been better...

I had my labwork done for my 'diabetes' last week. I was stunned by the results since the week prior I had more than a few homemade cookies. I was hoping things would be okay, since I've lost 18 pounds since May but I really didn't think they'd be this good.

My history:

Feb 2009
Fasting - 147
Triglycerides - 250
A1C 6.4

Sept 2009
Fasting - 134
Triglycerides - 963 (ouch)
A1C 6.8

Sept 2010
Fasting - 139
Triglycerides - 159
A1C 6.2

Sept 2011
Fasting - 110
Triglycerides - 76
A1C 6.1

For reference, Fasting and Triglycerides should both be around 100 or below and a normal A1C level is 6. I'm getting there!

My theory, which my doctor doesn't think is likely but you never know, is that when I was diagnosed with cancer my body went into complete shock. I feel my stress induced depression is responsible for my sugars being all over the place. My body is beginning to stabilize and I am certain that in another five years (if not sooner) diabetes medication will no longer be necessary.

It's the only way I can explain it. You see, when I'm feeling good I make it to the gym three days a week, cut down (not out) sugars, sodium and carbs and load myself up with water. It's been a rough year tho, so those 'feeling good' weeks aren't as regular as they could be. I've never denied myself dessert, but I been strict with portion control. Two years ago Matt and I would each have a chicken breast for dinner. Last year Matt, Cha and I would all share that breast. This year chicken breasts are less frequent in our household but I still love my meat. (Matt cut out most animal products altogether).

Getting better.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for you! I have been losing weight too. I was doing well until I stopped swimming. I have lost 14 but want to lose 50-60.

    Keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete