Wednesday, November 23, 2011

that's messed up

So the mom I mentioned a few days ago, the one who died? Well, she's alive. I can't even imagine what prompted whomever to post an obituary for a living person. The paper has since taken it down but it was up long enough for many people in the community to take note. It was up long enough for damage to be done.

A friend was kind enough to tell me over the phone. She wanted to make sure I heard the news before I stepped outside my house one day and saw a dead person walking around. In my current state of grief and missing my own mother terribly, I'm not sure how I'd respond. And what about my child who was told that the woman passed away, like Grandma and Uncle Keith and Aunt Florence and Pap Pap and Cousin Bobby? Will she suddenly think that there's a chance that all dead people will come back to the land of the living? I refuse to think of what the woman's children are dealing with and what they are forced to handle. Too much pain.

Death is much easier to explain than the mental illness that leads a person to publicly announce a death that did not happen.

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely bizarre. Keep us posted on how it happened.
    For someone to do that and not know how it affected someone thousands of miles away. Because I read that and felt like my grief was nothing in comparison and felt guilty for grieving the loss of my mom. We live in a twisted world.

    ReplyDelete