Saturday, January 3, 2009

Marley & Me

I saw Marley & Me last week. I can't remember the last time I cried so hard at a movie. Despite the sweet and funny commercials, this is not a family film. It may be rated PG but I can't see what a kid would get out of it, other than scared, confused and bored.

One of the highlights of the film (and only a slight spoiler) is when the wife had a miscarriage. Marley, 'the world's worst dog' comforted her like only a pet could. As someone who has spent many painful and sleepless nights snuggled up to by cats, I had to start bawling. Family pets may not understand losing a baby or a breast, but they understand pain and sadness. And because they rarely mistakenly say the wrong thing, they provide the biggest comfort of all.

Go see the movie but don't bring the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment