Sunday, February 1, 2009

My big girl

She's in her grown up room. Heavy Sigh! We've known for a while that Cha was getting way too tall for her toddler bed but it's such a big step. Well, a big step for me. Cha is an easy kid and transitions with no problems.

It was a long process because first I had to sell her old furniture and then find just the right bedroom set. And I needed to do it all on a budget. Boy did I score!

I sold her toddler bed and mattress on Craigslist for $40 (originally bought it for $25). It sold in a day which was a bit of a bummer since that meant Cha had to sleep with us. This kid is a super kicker so Matt and I weren't getting much sleep with her in our bed.

Her dresser set went for $100, and while it was a bargain for the buyer I still made money. I bought it three years ago on Craigslist for $125 and it came with a crib.

I really loved the four poster bed but had a hard time finding dressers to match. I continued to look at consignment shops, on Craiglist, and (gasp!) at new furniture stores but no luck.

Friday afternoon I stopped by Liberty and found a gorgeous set tucked away in a corner, amoungst a half dozen cribs. My jaw dropped when I saw this set and the super cheap price (twin headboard, two dressers, a night stand and a mirror for only $100). It was in perfect shape so I bought it on the spot. Who cares if there was no way it would fit in my little Yaris. I called Matt and begged him to pick it up on his way home from work. I was giddy thinking about how perfect it would look in my little girl's room. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I got this happy over a purchase. I couldn't wait to see the look on Cha's face when we put it all together. (Not to mention, I would have loved to have a room like this when I was a kid.)

So, here's my score....

The original twin bed that I still think is darling.The dressers, and nighstand with the old bed.

The matching headboard with two happy kitties
Note the hello kitty bedding

Cha did the stickers by herself.
I moved a few around but it's mostly her doing.

And finally, her closet. Way tacky I know but the clothes
are easy access and the bookcases fit.

She was so excited the first night that I had trouble getting her to sleep. She just wanted to play in her room all night. Eventually she fell asleep in her big bed and I am very relieved that she didn't fall out once.

The second night she went to bed even easier. Earlier today I was cleaning upstairs and Cha was playing in her room. When she saw me she told me to leave her alone and shut her door in my face. I gave her some space and 20 minutes later when she was much too quiet I opened the door to find her polishing her nails. The room stank like polish but other than a very sloppy manicure and pedicure there wasn't a mess anywhere. She'll be a teenager before I know it.

3 comments:

  1. It looks great, Joni!
    How bittersweet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great score and her room is adorable. I love how the kitties have to get in all the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Joni, her room is absolutely beautiful! Think she'd let me come live with her?

    ReplyDelete