Monday, June 22, 2009

Update on Dr. S

I had an appt scheduled with Dr. S for June 19th. A few days beforehand I got a message on my answering machine stating that my appt was canceled because Dr. S had been fired from the practice. Had I not known that he was planning on leaving and joining a new practice I would have been very worried.

The office staff called both my home and my cell number and left the 'fired' message. They really wanted to get their message across. I spoke to one of his fellow patients who confirmed that she and several other of his patients had also received the message. My girlfriend had a followup surgery just weeks prior and was scheduled to meet with Dr. S on June 18th. She was having some healing issues and really needed to be seen.

She called the office to ask how to get a hold of her doctor and they told her that she could come in and have one of the other surgeons look at her. She said absolutely not. The other surgeons weren't her doctor and didn't have a two year history with her. Sure they had her case file but that's not the same. She made an appt with her breast surgeon who was able to look at her and give her some a/b.

I called the office and asked about my file. The office staffer was very rude and said she couldn't understand why I was concerned about my file. She said that Dr. S wasn't even seeing anyone until July. I told her I wanted my file so I had it when I scheduled my next appt with him.

It turns out that Dr. S has landed in the same practice at Dr. K. Dr. K was my breast surgeon and is the person who recommended Dr. S. They worked together very well and I'm sure the practice will continue to thrive with their expertise.

I got my answers regarding whether my insurance will cover him and if I'd have to drive a hundred miles. I am very disappointed in the way the old office handled the change. Can you imagine how the patient who is just months out from a mastectomy felt when she learned that her appt was canceled and her surgeon was fired? You have to put so much trust in your doctor and that bad news can really rock your world.

No comments:

Post a Comment