Tuesday, August 30, 2011

great day, i think


I *think* she had a great first day. She was smiles when she came off the bus and there were no tears, so I'm assuming it was a success.

There still wasn't much eye contact. She paid more attention to the other kids getting off the bus than she did us. She was caught up in a frenzy of friends. That's good, right?

We tried to talk to her about her day, but she was very non-committal. Lots of 'I don't know' or 'I don't remember.' Kinda disappointing

She did open up later when we were laying in bed looking at her homework folder. Three boys on the bus started teasing her, calling her a boy. The Safety Patrol, a neighbor girl, stepped in and told them that Cha was a girl and that they had to stop calling her a boy. ('Mom, boys don't wear flower earrings, they wear skull earrings!')

She had hotdogs and pineapples for lunch and hung upside down on the monkey bars. The class is doing a paper quilt and everyone has to make a page of their favorite things. Cha wants to put in a picture of Mr. Pettibone. They did some Math and we have to remember to bring in a smock for art this week. Her teacher is very nice and put away all the things we brought in for her. She can't wait to go back again and again.

I missed my mom big time today. Cha reminds me so much of me at that age. I tried to spread my wings by being mean to my mom. I pushed her away to establish my independence. Cha is the same so I get it. Her actions sting a little less because I know where she's coming from. Did my mom understand? Did she snicker at my mighty snubs, knowing they were just attempts to be grown up? Or did they hurt her feelings? I wish she was here today so I could ask her, and apologize for being mean. I need to tell her that I always loved her and take back anything I said or did that made her feel like I didn't.

This morning's trip to the bus stop was much different than yesterday. Cha's plan was to walk to the stop by herself while I drove my car and park nearby. I could keep my distance and watch her without anyone knowing I was there. I agreed because the stop is only at the end of our court and I was planning on heading off from work right from there. It would save me the trip of walking home to get my car.

The reality was that she walked half way to the end of the court and started crying when she saw me get in my car. She came walking back in tears saying she was scared and lonely. I suggested she get in my car and we'd drive together. I offered to park while she got out with the other kids. She agreed to this. As soon as I parked I kissed her goodbye, told her I loved her and hoped she had a great day. She told me that I could get out and stand with her. Then she grabbed my hand and we walked across the street.

Nice way to start the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment