Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mom stuff

There were two pieces of paper in Cha's cubby at daycare this week that made me cry. Both were good, but had me bawling.

On Tuesday Cha received an award from her teachers for such a great job at potty training. She really has done well and it's all her own doing. I don't know why we stressed over P/Ting so much because we have very little to do with it. We tried to train Cha months and months ago but she just wasn't into it. It stressed her out and caused bowel problems so we gave it a rest. Then one day she woke up and just decided to start using the toilet. Matt and I were both shocked. We were playing in the house and she stood up, ran to the bathroom and sat on the potty. She's been doing it ever since. There have been a few accidents but they were due to not getting to the potty soon enough.

A month ago I asked Cha's teachers when she'd be moving up to the 3 year old class. They told me that once she was potty trained and a space opened up, she'd be there. I'm not in a real hurry to move her since I love her current class. Cha loves her teachers and all her classmates, but she has loved all of her teachers since day one so it's not a surprise. Her best girlfriend moved up to the new class last month. They've been in the same room since Cha was 9 weeks old so they've pretty much grown up as siblings. You should see them when I pick Cha up at the end of the day. They kiss each other goodbye like an old married couple. Anyway, I know there are a couple of younger kids who are waiting on Cha's spot, so I was curious when she would move.

So yesterday when I walked in for pick-up Cha's lunchbox wasn't in her cubby. Everyone was out on the playground so I decided to check the 3 year old room. Her new cubby was all set up and there was a welcome note from the teacher. I knew she had been spending time in the new class to prepare for the move but I didn't know she'd be moving so quickly. I was a little stunned. What the heck happened to my baby????

I spent some time scoping out the room, reading all the paperwork on the walls, the class schedule, rules and expectations. The daycare is run like a school which is why I always call her care providers teachers. She has learned so much in every room she has been in but this is the first room I can say is actually a classroom. The week's schedule includes computer lab, math, science and reading. Each child is assigned a seat and their name is on the table. Wow. There is still circle time, free play, and time on the playground but I guess that is now considered recess. OMG, my little baby has recess!!

So two pieces of paper that are really great and fantastic for Charlotte put me in a state of shock.

On a separate note(s), I've been getting ready for Cha's birthday party. She announced to her class last month that she's having a birthday party with a Blue's Clues cake. That was news to me. Her teachers asked me about it one day so I guess I had to start planning the party. We've decided on a birthday playdate at the party and are inviting all her friends. I found Blue's Clues invites and handed them out to all the kids in her class. Yesterday, after learning that she's being moved up to the new class, I realized I should invite those kids as well. I had a few invites leftover so I filled them out and dropped them off today. With the mom's group and friends from school, there's going to be nearly 40 people at the park. Should be fun!

I stopped by and called around to a couple of bakeries this week. No one carries Blue's Clues cakes anymore. Apparantly they are old news. This morning I asked Cha if she wanted a princess cake instead, since there are a million princess cakes out there. She said yes, but not with the same enthusiasm that she begged for Blue's Clues. So I think I'm going to have to look a little harder.

I think back to this time last year, right before her birthday, and I also got all weepy. Someone tell me it gets easier?

2 comments:

  1. Our little babies are growing up too fast, aren't they?

    I'm so proud of Cha for her award and moving up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray, Cha! I hope she loves her new class room, her daycare sounds fantastic, you really lucked out.

    All the best with finding the blue's clues cake. I'm sure someone must have them :)

    ReplyDelete