Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Playing catchup

I've had a million thoughts run around my head since last Thursday's post, but I haven't put any of them down. So here's a bit of random babbling to catch myself up.

You know that young, hot college student I mentioned last week? Well, he somehow got OLD. He called me at work to ask what I was doing in his wallet and where I put his Wawa gift card. Huh? I hadn't been near his wallet but he was certain someone was sorting his cards since they were out of place. When I got home his Wawa gift card was still on his dresser as it had been the day before. Monday morning at 4:30 he got me up to find his glasses. He usually leaves them on his nightstand and he was certain that I moved them, because isn't that what wives do? I searched all around the bed and most of the second floor, thinking that maybe the kitties ran off with them. They turned up in the top drawer of his nightstand. He seriously thinks that I hid them from him. Again, huh? Then tonight, just a short while ago he walked downstairs. The house is quiet. No TV or music. Just me sitting on the couch reading some news and relaxing with the kitties. He walked downstairs and told me to turn off the ceiling fan because it was too loud. Um, it's a silent ceiling fan. Either my darling husband was walking in his sleep or he's losing his mind. Funny guy.

Thursday night we're having a birthday celebration at the park for Cha's 3rd birthday. It's a week and a half early but I was afraid the weather wouldn't hold out at the end of September. The weather is supposed to be high 70s with no rain, which is a relief. Her friends from the mom's group and daycare will be there and I know she's going to have a blast. She's been talking about her birthday for over a month. Every time we're in a store she wants to check out the greeting card section so she can pick out her own birthday card. I finally found a bakery to make a Blue's Clues cake. Cha was with me when we ordered it and couldn't understand why we couldn't eat it right there.

My dear friend Mrs. K is undergoing a huge construction project on her house. I questioned her about why she was putting a shower/bath combo on the first floor and she said she had hoped to retire in that home and was thinking of the day that she and her husband might not be able to take the steps. I've been thinking about that plan a lot since then. It's wonderful to be so forward thinking. It reminded me of a short conversation we had with our neighbors way back when we were actually all speaking. It was a Friday after work in the beginning of summer and we were sitting in the front yard drinking adult beverages. One of my neighbors remarked that it was the perfect day and if he won the lottery he would do that every night. Matt and I both looked at each other and he said the words that I was thinking. 'If we won the lottery we certainly wouldn't be living here.' Mrs. K is in the middle of some major changes and I'm sure it will end up costing a pretty penny. I am envious. If I had a million dollars to spare I don't think I'd put much money into this place. I am happy to be here but I pray this won't be our retirement home.

My house stinks. Well, the basement stinks to be exact and it's coming up the vents and making the first floor stink. The litter boxes are in the basement but I don't think that's the cause of the problem. I caught the kittens going potty behind the washer and dryer last week. It's a new thing and I've got to break them of it. But honestly, I don't think that's where the stink is coming from either. The source seems to be inside the dryer. Matt and I both followed our noses and they ended up there. Matt's theory is that a squirrel come in the vent and died in the dryer. I guess that would make sense but it's totally gross if it's true. Will this require a good scrubbing or will we need to replace the whole thing? I did a load of laundry yesterday and they stank coming out of the dryer. However, I did another load tonight and they are just fine. Matt has to go in and check out the vents. I do not want to see a dead anything.

And finally, the thoughts that have been taking up most of my brain power over the last week. Cancer has hit my circle of friends yet again. When K first told me that her husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer I lost my breath for a minute and then started crying. I had a flashback to the moment I was diagnosed. It's a giant punch to the gut. I knew that they found a tumor on his bladder and that he was going in for a biopsy but I really didn't think it would be anything serious. Afterall I had cancer, didn't that mean my friends were expempt, at least for a year? I thought it meant an automatic safe for those around me. Thankfully they caught J's cancer very early and the doctors managed to get it all during surgery. He will require no other treatment but will need to be checked on a regular basis for the rest of his life.

Then there's V. I can't begin to put myself in her brain and understand what she's thinking or feeling. I know everyone deals with health issues in their own way but I am stumped by her. She has a family history of cancer. She's got symptoms and test results of 'atypical cells' yet she is dragging her feet on further testing. I will continue to nag, and drag her to appointments if necessary. We're circling the wagons around her so there's nowhere to hide. Ugh, cancer sucks.

Anway, to make a long story short it's been a busy couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm honored JJ. But who the heck is Mrs. K. That sounds OLD! Can I at least be the hipper Ms. K? Yeah, I know I mentioned the retirement word, but we're not there yet!

    ReplyDelete