Thursday, July 3, 2008

10:00 and all is, well.....

It's been a rough couple of days. First off, there was a little snag with my short term disability. Despite filling out the proper paperwork well in advance, and being assured by the leave coordinator that everything was approved, my employer didn't pay me. I didn't find this out until late Friday of last week when I checked my balance online. It was too late to call the leave coordinator or HR so I was just kinda stuck over the weekend. I panicked wondering if I should try to force myself back to work on Monday so I wouldn't be out another week's pay. It was stressful.

As it turns out my employer automatically declined my leave since I've taken so much already. It would have been nice for them to tell me this the month before my surgery when I first put in the request. I am only eligible for 66% of my salary but instead of them paying me for that amount they decided not to pay me at all. I spent many hours this week on the phone wading thru the red tape trying to get things resolved. On Tuesday I agreed to use some vacation time to make up the difference and on Wednesday I was told that I'd be paid 'sometime'.

The check arrived this afternoon right around 4:00, when the banks had already closed. I deposited it at the ATM and since this is a holiday weekend I'm sure it won't hit until Monday. Nice, eh? This SNAFU is par for the course for this month's budget. With the price of gas and food out of control, things have been tight. We've also had several other financial bumps in the road and I'm not looking forward to that giant electric bill for having the AC on 24/7.

On to my second rant, my body is ticked about the heat. Imagine heading off to the grocery store on a sweltering hot suburban Philadelphia afternoon. You're pushing a cart full of groceries and one very active toddler across the black top to your car. Imagine picking up those endless bags and putting them in the trunk in 95 degree heat. Then try to imagine doing that with a super tight binder from your breasts to your hips. Also imagine standing in the heat waiting for your toddler to get herself into her carseat because you can't pick her up, knowing that once you strap her in you've got to position yourself and your wrapped body in the front seat of a 110 degree car. I'm sure I don't have to mention how the heat and perspiration irritate my incisions making them runny and gooey and painful. Tonight they are a throbbing and red mess. If I had to do it over again, I would have waited to have this surgery until the weather got cooler. Compression garments and summer time is torture.

Finally, I am a firm believer in karma and knowing that what goes around comes around has made dealing with difficult people more peaceful. However, I keep hearing of these terribly fraudulent, evil people who never seem to get caught. I feel like I am always paying a hefty karmic price while others seem to have blank checks in this world. I need some reassurance that goodness does prevail and choosing right over wrong is still the smart move.

Seriously, R fraudulently works two other jobs while being out on disability and doesn't get caught, but my company doesn't pay me the week of my surgery? What the hell??

No comments:

Post a Comment