Sunday, July 13, 2008

Daniel My Brother




My brother is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning and I've been thinking about him all night. I've been humming this song all afternoon and tonight I decided to Google the lyrics.

Did you know?

Question: What is the meaning of the song Daniel?
Answer: Daniel is the fictional story of a blinded Vietnam veteran who comes home after the war and everybody wants him to be a hero, but all he wants is to be left alone. So he takes off for Spain to get away from it all. The story is told from the point of view of his younger brother, who misses him and would like him to come back home. It's not a true story, just an account of what crippled Vietnam veterans had to go through when they came home from the war. It is inspired by news coverage of the war that Bernie (Elton's lyricist) watched in the early 70s.



Obviously my brother isn't a Vietnam Vet, nor is he my older brother but I still miss him so much. Good luck tomorrow Dan!

(P.S. Is it my imagination or does the woman in the audience at 2:05 look like Dan's wife Michele? Odd, eh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment