Friday, July 25, 2008

Dude, where's my car??

Really now, I should have known better. I drove a silver Subaru Forester for five years. Every third car on the road seemed to be a silver Subaru Forester. However I could always find mine because of the car seat and the junk in the back. And the dirt and scratches. Oh, and I always park in the same spot when I go to the store. I call it my alzheimer's training.

I went to the grocery store today and when I came out I was totally lost. I looked in 'my' spot and didn't see my car. I panicked. Dude, where's my car??

Then I remembered the Yaris. You know, the rare four door, black sedan. There aren't many of those on the road at all. Since we picked it up two days ago I've seen 3 black Yaris' and one blue. My neighbor up the street has a Yaris, how in the world didn't I notice? I've also seen a 1,000 black four door sedans (no lie, Rte 422 is a nightmare and I drive it two times a day).

As I was driving home from the grocery store I decided that I needed to do something to make the car stand out. Not to make it cool for others, but so I could find it in a crowd. The Forester cargo area didn't allow for me to put anything in the back window, but I think I'm going to have to find something for the new one. But that got me wondering what says 'me'. I remember back in Santa Barbara I had a cut out of David Letterman in the back seat window of my Audi. It was supposed to look like he was riding in the back of my car. (I'm telling you, I was super cool back then.) I don't think Cha will go for it, unless I decide on Dora or Diego.

If I were excited about either one of the presidential candidates I would put a hat with their name in the window. But I think about the summer of 91 when I was living in DC and had a Bush bumper sticker on my car. Some woman who was crossing the street cursed Bush and smacked my trunk with her umbrella. I don't see McCain or Obama worthy of scratching my new car. Maybe if it were Newt....

Anyway, I think I've decided to put a breast cancer survivor's hat in the back window. Something to nag tailgaters to remind the women in their lives to get themselves checked. It's a bummer that that's what says 'me' but the pink will certainly help me find my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment