Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Drains B-Gone

I had my post-surgery appt yesterday and Dr. S removed my drains. I was so excited to get them out but what a nightmare that was. I showed him the sheet that noted that the drains had been putting out no more than 5-10 ccs a day and then hopped up on the table and begged him to take them out.

I got very anxious at this point. Since my breasts have healed so much since the last drains were removed months ago, I could feel everything. When he gently pulled the first drain I thought I was going to vomit. The image of snakes crawling around inside my breasts immediately popped into my head and stayed there while he pulled the other drain. Having those drains pulled is such an incredibly nasty feeling that I almost vomited and passed out. Dr. S broke out smelling salts thinking I would fall flat on the floor. I'm curious if I've always been this crazy or if this is something new?

Five minutes later all was well and I was feeling very energetic. Dr. S told me I have only one more surgery to go. He's going to do minor work on my breasts, give me nipples and clean up my tummy a bit more. He's happy with the way things look now and said that once the swelling goes down on my waist I should lose another inch or two, but he wants me to keep wearing the binder for three weeks.

It was a good visit and when I got home I quickly fell into a deep sleep. I haven't been sleeping well so it was awesome.

One more thing I wanted to add: when Dr. S was looking at my chest and saying what else he wanted to fix I told him I thought they were perfect. I said they looked natural like my original breasts and he said that his goal was to make them look better than the originals. I've heard of plastic surgeons who leave women looking less than human and I'm so thankful that I have someone who has higher expectations than I do. Given all I've experienced in the past 6 months it would be so easy for me to give up and settle for what I have. I'm lucky that I have a doctor who won't let me.

No comments:

Post a Comment