Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pre-Op Appointment

This morning I met with Dr. S. He took one final look at the goods and explained exactly what he's going to do next Tuesday. There's a bit of a change in plans, but I'm okay with it.

I am second in line for surgery, so they are thinking I'll need to be there at 9:00 am. They'll call me Monday night to confirm. We're going to take Cha to daycare and then Matt will be bringing me to the surgical center. I will not be going to the hospital this time. This will be an outpatient procedure and I should be heading home in the afternoon.

The original plan was for Dr. S to reshape my breasts and clean up the incision across my hips. I was looking forward to cleaning up the incision since as I've stated before there are numerous hard spots and the lumps are uncomfortable. Dr. S said he'd rather concentrate on my breasts and 'going to town' on my stomach, suctioning out a boat load of fat (my words, not his). Once those areas are healed (he's guessing by the end of summer) I'll go back in to clean up my hips and at that time he'll make the nipples. That will be my final procedure and I will be all pretty by Cha's third birthday in September.

Yesterday I met with another of Dr. S' patients. She mentioned that her least favorite part of this entire experience was getting her picture taken. She freaked out during her before shots and is having extreme anxiety over her potential after shots. I mentioned that they might not be required. She asked me to check with Dr. S during my appt so I casually asked him how often he needs to take pictures. He said that he understood that most women hate having the pictures done so he doesn't require mid-and after-shots. I mentioned that the pictures didn't really bother me since I have been taking my own at home. I like having a record and seeing how far I've come. He was happy to hear my attitude and asked if I wouldn't mind if he took some shots today. Thinking back on all the before and after pictures I have seen since December, I gladly obliged and hope that he shares them with others.

I'm nervous as hell about Tuesday but the anxiety isn't quite as bad as the first time around. Maybe because the procedure won't be as long or involved, or maybe because I'm used to the prodding. I'll probably have a hard time sleeping this weekend and who knows if I'll ever get to bed Monday night. I'm glad my parents will be visiting this weekend to help me take my mind off things. I've also got the working moms group picnic on Sunday to obsess over (only 60 attendees!).

One final note to Joe: let's not schedule Korean food anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment