Saturday, November 29, 2008

Braggy and a bit Controversal

My friend Val has a daughter who will be three in a couple of weeks. Little Cait uses a hearing aid but I am hesitant to ever refer to her as even the least bit disabled. The kid's got a huge personality and never lets anything or anyone hold her back.

Because of her hearing loss she receives extra attention in regards to her development. She recently took some early intervention tests, I guess to see what she'll need before she starts kindergarten. Val was shocked that her little two year old tested at the six year old level. She knows her colors, numbers, letters and clearly answered questions and processed information.

Val thinks it was a faulty test or a fluke. I think the tests are antiquated. Most of the women in my working moms group have their children in daycare facilities that teach a curriculum. Cha brings home a homework folder ever Monday and she receives report cards several times a year. Her school teaches her things that honestly I don't think I would have thought of if I was a stay at home mom. Sure, I can teach her right from wrong, being compassionate and caring towards others and how to snuggle four kitties without making any of them feel left out. However, I don't think I have the skill set to come up with a proper lesson plan for a toddler every day.

Daycare kids have a tremendous head start on kindergarten and first grade. They are familiar with the school setting and know what's expected of them socially. In most cases they know the alphabet, numbers, can recite their full names and addresses and have already begun to read. This certainly doesn't make them better people but as far as testing is concerned I can absolutely see how a near-3 year old would test at a 6 year level.

Cha blows me away every day with the new things she's learned. Today she drew detailed pictures of a fish and a snowman. She also lined up all her stuffed animals and played school. She stood in front of her class proclaiming 'Now boys and girls, listen up as I tell a story.' Then she went on to tell this very imaginative (and somewhat baffling) story about a boy and a princess.

While people who are anti-daycare will complain that they don't want anyone else to raise their children, they don't understand the difference between parenting and providing care. Cha has an incredible bond with my parents and Matt's parents. She doesn't see them on a daily basis but she loves them just the same and she knows the difference between her teachers and her family.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are very right that children in full time daycare do have an advantage when it comes to starting elementary school. The things you've mentioned I have encouraged Sarah to learn, but her pre-school takes it to the next level. I've noticed a huge improvement in her speech and motor skills since September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent points Joni! I love seeing/hearing stories of what Charlotte has learned (I’m a little partial to my niece, lol). Anyhoo, for years there have been studies proving that toddlers are little sponges and will soak up just about anything you can teach them, if the time is taken to teach. By the time the boys were 4 they knew all the basics (how to say the alphabet, how to count and several words) in Spanish, French, and Hebrew. Danielle is learning sign language and Nate taught her bits of Chinese last year when he was taking it. She’s even learning fractions just by helping me cook. It’s just so easy to teach them at this young age, yet there are still care givers who think caring for children is merely wiping dirty faces and watching cartoons. GRRRRR. It’s awesome that you took the time to find a good daycare that nurtures and actually teaches. You wouldn’t believe some of the stories I’ve heard from past hair clients about daycares where you’re lucky if they even wash the child’s hands let alone read them a book. Oh and don’t get me started on the moms who think TV is in charge of mental stimulation for their children. More parents should follow your lead in making their child’s education a priority, by either searching out a quality teaching daycare or doing research on toddler curriculum at home and following through with it.

    Wow, sorry for the novel, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I was thinking about you homeschooling when I typed that post. I do not have the patience or the skill (or sadly, the desire) to come up with daily lesson plans.

    A while back Cha was explaining to me the difference between her pinky and her thumb. It hit me that I hadn't even realized that she knew the word pinky. There's so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete