Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Genetic Testing

It's been nearly four weeks so I called the genetic counselor this morning to see if she'd heard any word. She called me back in the afternoon and said she just got the results and asked me when I wanted them. I told her my surgery was scheduled for Monday and I'd like them beforehand if possible. She said she could schedule me for tomorrow (Wed) from 12:30 to 1:30.

Hmmm, that doesn't exactly sound like the best of news. Even if she isn't legally allowed to tell me bad news herself, or over the phone, why a whole hour? Matt suggested that she slots everyone for an hour, no matter how long it will take. That's a possibility.

I seriously considered not even getting the results until after my surgery, so it's one less thing to worry about. But then that nagging 'what if there is no after the surgery' reared it's ugly head and I figured I want to know and get the word out if necessary.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, there are lots of women in my family. I've got nine nieces and nephews and then my darling Cha to think about. If I have this gene there is a chance that they may too. Three of my nieces are at the age where they could be tested for the gene, not that they necessarily have to (especially since it's a $3,100 test which would be out of pocket) but I would like them to know they are high risk and to start the self breast exams early. (Sorry, that sentence was entirely too long!)

Hopefully I'll be back online tomorrow at 1:00 pm saying all is well, that they just wanted to meet and thank me for my business. Either way I'll post the results when I get them.

ETA: I also wanted to note that I have three brothers to think about. If any of them carry the BRCA1 gene they would be 3 to 7 times more likely to develop prostate cancer and are at greater risk for developing breast cancer (men get it too!).

No comments:

Post a Comment