Saturday, January 5, 2008

High Expectations

Someone told me soon after the diagnosis that this is the time when I'll find who my true friends are. That may be partially so but does it lead to unrealistic expectations?

What happens when those who are closest to you fail to meet those expectations? What happens when the people you depend on most aren't able to fulfill your needs, especially when you're unable to spell them out? Should we judge someone's character because they just don't know what to say or how to act?

I have heard some shocking comments during the last month. A few of which made my jaw hit the floor. There have been times when I felt like smacking someone for an insensitive remark or gotten angry at someone for invading my space. What I need to remind myself is that it's not easy being on the other side of the table either. People mean well, they just might not be able to find the right words.

I do appreciate all the kind thoughts and well wishes. I am grateful for each and every friend and family member. I am truly fortunate to have so many people in my life offering support in one way or another.

If I failed to say it the last time I saw you....thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment