Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Make Mine a Double

I met with Dr. K today. Matt couldn't take off work, so I went on my own.

He told me that the cancer board had a meeting on Monday and discussed my case. They all recommended the best option would be a bilateral mastectomy, regardless of what the genetic testing has to say. At the time of the mastectomy they would also do a sentinel node biopsy to make sure the cancer hasn't moved to the lymph nodes.

I feel comfortable with this since, as I've said all along, I do not want to deal with this every six months for the next 35 years. Yes, there is a slight chance that the cancer could come back but it is much less likely than if I just had a lumpectomy and radiation. I mentioned to Dr. K at one of our first talks that a double mastectomy was something I was not afraid of. This is not something that he, or anyone else, talked me into. This is my own choice and like I said, I am comfortable with it.

The next step is meeting with a plastic surgeon. I have an appt with one in about an hour. I'm still unsure of what I want to do in regards to reconstruction with or without an implant. That's not something I need to decide right now and I'm very interested to see what the plastic surgeon has to say. One thing I do need to decide now is when. Dr. K said any Monday in January is fine with him. He said we could also push it back to February, but he'd rather not go any farther than that. Honestly, I would probably go insane if I had to wait too much longer.

I'll update when I get back from meeting with the plastic surgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment