Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Question from the peanut gallery

Question: Can you explain the genetic testing you have to have done?

There is a mutated gene found to cause breast cancer (BRCA1). People who have this mutated gene have an 80-85% chance of getting breast cancer in their lifetime.

I have several suspicious spots in my breasts (other than the two known cancer sites). If the genetic testing comes back showing that I have this gene, odds are that those suspicious spots will turn cancerous. It will make sense to take care of them at the same time as a preventative measure (double mastectomy). If I do not have the gene, treatment will most likely be a lumpectomy followed by radiation of the two known cancer sites and regular mammograms to make sure the other spots don't turn funky.

Here's an article I read yesterday which explains how things go bad. Mutated Gene

No comments:

Post a Comment