Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Woo Hoo! Free Parking!

One of the very few perks of being a cancer patient, I'm sure.

I met with a nurse to discuss the genetic test this morning. Her office is at the cancer center which was a tough building to walk into. I felt so out of place almost like I was invading people's privacy. When I first walked in there was an older gentleman being wheeled out on a hospital bed. He didn't look well. There were several other cancer patients coming in and out for their chemo treatments. Yep, there's no room for denial in the lobby at the cancer center.

The education session went well but honestly I didn't learn anything new. I've been a research hound recently and had already read much of what was presented. I gave my vial of blood which will be overnighted to a lab in Utah tonight. They will start working on it tomorrow and I should have the results in a couple of weeks. The nurse will give me a call when she gets them and I'll go back in and talk with her and another doctor.

She put me in a chemo treatment room to take my blood. There were patients on either side of me chatting with family and friends. I was surprised that the mood was so upbeat, given what was going on.

Tomorrow afternoon Matt and I are meeting with Dr. K. I think it will be good for Matt to have the chance to ask questions and get information from the horse's mouth. It's not easy being in his shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment